February 7, 2007

The Rain Came...

The rain came today...we've had such a dry winter.
This is more like the usual rainy season in Northern California.

The sound of sheets of water hitting the ground is a relief.



Rain, I don't mind.
Shine, the weather's fine.

My grandmother LOVED the rain.
I think that's because she loved to garden.
One time she asked me to see what was growing out of her bulbs...something weird and stringy...
It was the roots, she'd planted the bulbs upside down, they were desperately trying to grow...roots up.
She laughed and laughed at herself in her deep alto voice.

Laughed and laughed.

I still have rosemary from her garden...growing all over my yard.
I asked to take some cuttings.
She gave me these wonderful aromatic plants.
I think of her often.
The leaves are so shiny dark forest green in the rain.















A Hard Rain's a'Gonna Fall




by Bob Dylan
It breaks my heart everytime.
When did our country forget about life, liberty and happiness.

2 Comments:

Blogger superstar said...

life just good

February 08, 2007  
Blogger baffle said...

you better know i loved every second of that beatles' video!
thank you!

and

to know about your grandma's rosemary.
and
her upside-down bulbs.

i'm happy you have these lovely memories.

February 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home